Many people hit a point in their life where they wonder if face lift surgery is an option they should consider. If you have come to this point, there are likely many questions you have regarding any procedure. One of the most frequent questions that patients who come to our clinic ask is how long their procedure will last. If you are thinking about having face lift surgery in San Jose, CA, Kirk A. Churukian, MD, FACS can answer all of your questions.
Every person’s face is different. Each face is made up of different nerves and muscles, and each face’s skin has a different degree of elasticity. Other factors that come into play include a person’s age, the pigment, and condition of their skin, including how much sun damage they may have. These factors help determine how long a facelift will last. One factor that can play a pivotal role in the longevity of your surgery is maintaining a healthy lifestyle, both before and after the procedure.
Tips to Increase the Longevity of Your Facelift
On average, a San Jose, CA face lift surgery will usually be at its optimum for about five to six years. Many of our patients do choose to add injections, fillers, and other non-surgical procedures to their facial regime to help prolong the procedure. Other tips that can help include:
- Stop smoking. Not only does smoking cause harm to your physical health, but it also creates heavy damage to facial skin. Smoking restricts blood flow in the skin, and this results in premature wrinkling and creping of the skin. Smoking can also affect any scarring you may have from the facelift.
- Wear sunscreen every day, not just when you are going to the beach or sitting by the pool. You can also help prevent sun damage by wearing a large hat that shades your face and avoiding the midday sun. This is when the sun is at its strongest and can also do the most damage.
- Drink plenty of water. It is important for skin health to stay hydrated.
- Reduce the amount of alcohol you drink, especially when you are recovering from your procedure. Alcohol causes dehydration of the skin and this can have an impact on your recovery.
- Choose the right plastic surgeon for your procedure. You want to make sure to choose a doctor who has extensive experience in facelifts.
Contact Our Clinic Today
Having any kind of surgical procedure can be a little overwhelming, and when it comes to face lift surgery in San Jose, CA, you want to make sure you are working with a surgeon like Kirk A. Churukian, MD, FACS. Dr. Churukian has more than two decades of surgical experience and is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, the California Society of Plastic Surgeons, and the San Jose Surgical Society. Call our office today to schedule a consultation.