How to Recover from Facelift Surgery
Facelifts are a very popular plastic surgery procedure and considered safe if performed by a qualified surgeon. However, to get the best results, you must take good care of yourself after the procedure. Here are some tips for recovering from a facelift.
- Avoid strenuous activities. After your facelift procedure, you will need to stay out of the gym for a while. Strenuous activities can increase bleeding and swelling. Your plastic surgeon will likely want you to avoid rigorous activities for at least a few weeks.
- Keep your head elevated. Swelling is common after a facelift procedure and can make you feel very uncomfortable. One of the most effective ways to reduce swelling is to keep your head elevated. If you plan on sleeping in your bed, put a couple of pillows under your head.
- Limit sun exposure. When you are healing from facelift surgery, you have to be especially careful in the sun. Too much sun exposure can lead to inflammation, skin discoloration and scars. If you do have to be out in the sun, remember to wear plenty of sunscreen and a wide-brimmed hat.
- Don’t take hot showers. Although taking a hot shower may be relaxing, you will want to avoid them right after your facelift surgery in Saratoga, CA. Hot water can increase swelling. Instead, take lukewarm showers.
- Eat a healthy diet. Consuming nutritious foods becomes even more important after you undergo a surgical procedure, like a facelift. Feeding your body with the proper nutrients will help you recover faster. Fill your diet with fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean meats. Also, be sure to drink plenty of water.
- Don’t smoke. You will want to avoid cigarettes during your recovery from a facelift. Nicotine can cause your blood vessels to constrict, hindering your recovery. Your plastic surgeon may advise you to stop smoking for at least several weeks after your procedure.
If you are interested in getting facelift surgery in Saratoga, CA, schedule a consultation with Kirk A. Churukian, MD, FACS today.